As part of the ABA’s call to increase diversity in the legal profession, many organizations have created 1L Diversity Fellowship or Scholarship programs. Many of those programs come with an opportunity for summer employment, as well. These programs are competitive and deadlines are frequently in December or January of each year.
If you are interested in these opportunities, you are encouraged to speak with the Office of Career Planning in the next couple of weeks.
Following is a brief sample of some of the opportunities currently accepting applications:
- Baker & Hostetler Paul D White Scholarship
- Shumaker Loop & Kendrick Diversity Scholarship
- Latham & Watkins 1L Fellowship Program
- Taft, Stettinius & Hollister Diversity & Inclusion Fellowship
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Minority Clerkship Program (they will be on campus to provide more information on Nov. 8 at 4:30 pm)
Make a note to plan ahead! Many organizations offer diversity programs to 2L students, as well. Those deadlines are generally in July and August before the start of the 2L year.